7.18.2010

Working Sunday

So I've spent some time working this weekend AND I've enjoyed it. I am slowly learning the ins-and-outs of a UNIX system. It is impressive how just how powerful it is. I can't believe how much time I have wasted by NOT automating tasks w/ shell scripts. Just this morning I pushed myself to use the command line for the graphical program I run and I cannot believe how much more simple it is than using a mouse. Sheesh, I'm slow, but I'm getting there.

A running update first:
I've done a couple of 1.5 mile runs and a 2.7 mile run recently. I don't seem too interested in tracking today. Yesterday I got the little mutt to run a whole mile w/ me. I've learned to walk her for a while first.

Completed Goals
18) Make a batch of freezer jam.
54) Visit the Pizza restaurant near Lake Michigan.
62) Visit a local winery.
69) Develop a successful composting system.
71) Grow a crop of corn
73) Clean and organize the contents of both desks
87) Train Odie to stay at doorways
92) Watch no television for one month - COMPLETED as of yesterday!
101) Do not allow yourself to complain of boredom

Partially Completed Goals
11) Read 10 of the Modern Library’s 100 Best Nonfiction (0/10) - Still reading Thomas Sowell...
12) Have a conversation in Portuguese - I wrote a very short email in Portuguese last night.
23) Make baking bread a habit - Due to the heat, it isn't a habit, but I did bake a loaf a couple of weeks ago!

I have nine goals completed. I could be doing a little better, but I have been focusing on work. I'm also attempting to diet w/out tracking calories. This is turning into a success, but it is much harder.

Goals for the week:
1) Two runs of greater than 2 miles, preferably a 3-miler (July is ending quickly!)
2) Finish the Sowell book. It is too dense for me to read in long settings, but it is good. When I say good I mean incredibly insightful and historically/economically/philosophically reaching.
3) Cover 2 chapters of the Chem book.

25) Eat a meal made entirely of things grown in my own garden - I have tomatoes, peppers, and beans!
32) Master a tri-cep push-up - I'm getting better. I can push up into a plank from the ground, but I am definitely relying more on my chest muscles than my triceps for part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment