Already overgrown!
The garden has grown up since these were taken. The corn and zucchini had sprouted, and I was absolutely ecstatic. I have certainly learned this year NOT to fear timelines with gardens. Get it in the ground, it will grow. In fact, I planted some dill seed a week or so ago and it is popping up now. I may not get much off it, but for 25 cents, why not try? Next year I definitely plan to do more from seed.
Beets!
As far as I can tell, these are caterpillars that would grow into cabbage moths one day. They did a lot of damage before I realized what they were and picked them off. Once I realized the problem, I diligently picked off every caterpillar I could for a couple of weeks and they are gone now. The leaves are still very chewed, but I may get some cauliflower yet!
The damage is actually much worse than this.
I harvested some green beans today. All in all, gardening is a very satisfying experience!
In summary:
1) If something is eating your plants, get close enough to see the little things before the damage increases.
2) Don't plant too close together.
3) Don't fear planting from seed after the ground has warmed up.
No comments:
Post a Comment