5.31.2010

Notes from a new gardener.

I FINALLY got my garden planted. I feel simultaneously accomplished and frustrated that I didn't stick closer to my original plans and do more research. I can place some blame on the weather this year. We had freezing temperatures at the end of April and beginning of May. This was followed by large amounts of rain. I had read somewhere to let the ground dry out and settle before planting. This may have been silly, but I definitely let it hold me back and I feel like I lost time w/ what should have been early season crops.

This is my Purple Cape Cauliflower. It is a tad sun-scorched. I really should have started cauliflower sooner while it was cooler. But of course I went nuts and bought a half flat of heirloom vegetables and cauliflower was just too tempting.

These are mostly tomato plants. The large one is a cherry size named Juliet. It already has 3 tomatoes ripening. I am exciting to start harvesting off it as soon as possible. The other plants are considerably less mature and all heirloom varieties. I bought... Green Zebra, Roma, Heidi Paste Tomato, and ... one other... ummm.... If you look closely you will also see a Thai eggplant hiding in there.

I went nuts with the pepper plants as well. Apparently peppers freeze very well. I bought a bell pepper, jalapeno, Thai Red, Bolivian Rainbow, Sheepnose Pimento, and a Bullnose. Whew, I am going to have to work hard to eat all of these.

These are four bush bean plants and a zucchini hill. I also seeded some beets (which also should have been started sooner) and two rows of corn. The varieties are Silver Queen and Candy Corn. I am crossing my fingers on these.

So, that is all for now. Oh, a note on fertilizers. I bought some "worm tea" and some organic Miracle Grow. I am not sure quite what will happen, but all of the veggies have been fertilized w/ one or other other.

No comments:

Post a Comment