5.19.2010

A couple of changes

1) I can round out my reading lists w/ winners from other categories if I choose. Since I plan to read several presidential biographies which are Pulitzer Prize winners, I feel like that should contribute to my reading goals.

2) Along w/ baking bread, I would like to reflect more on what I am learning while I am at it. Therefore, when I bake I may write a short post about kneading and rising times, the type(s) of flour used, and the overall structure and texture of the final product. In my world gluten = good and I'd like to learn a bit more about it.

I just ran another 10 minute mile (by my inexact measurements of time and distance). So if I was teaching my students this...

I estimated the distance of my route from google maps: x = 1.3 +/- 0.1 miles
I estimate the time from my microwave clock: t = 13 +/- 1 minutes

rate = time / distance
r = 13 minutes / 1.3 miles
r = 10 minutes per mile

the error in this calculation:

&delta rate / rate = &radic( (&delta x / x )² + (&delta t / t)²)
&delta r/r = 10.9%

so the absolute error is 1.09 minutes/mile.

After proper rounding, my best estimate for every run I have mentioned on this blog is 10+/-1 minute miles. I would like to know whether I'm improving, but I'll have to get a better stop watch or increase my rate. Why do I find trivial calculations that tell me what I already know fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment