12.28.2011

Vegan Week!

I'm a long time vegetarian. Why am I not a vegan? I admit it, I like to have a little bit of normal left in my life. I mean that on both a personal and social level. I could probably learn to embrace a vegan lifestyle, but it would be a lonely battle for me.
Socially: It is important for me to be able to walk into a restaurant or party and find something to eat. Vegan in Indiana is a lonely state of being.
Personally: I love butter. I love eggs. I love cheese. I love all of the delicious things you can do with them. I admit it. I'm just as bad as the "I love bacon" crowd in my own way.

I'm a lover of nearly all foods. I regularly have a veggie-packed meal that happens to be vegan. I seriously doubt I've accidentally had an entire vegan day. For a time I practiced "Nearly-Vegan Mondays." Nearly-vegan because despite my efforts, I would inevitably drizzle with honey, sprinkle parmesan, or saute with butter. It just happens.
I set a goal for myself to explore an entire week of veganism, but I didn't go cold-turkey (ha!). Leading up to Christmas, I didn't buy yogurt or honey to replace the empties. I ate a lot of salads and tofu and pie. Oh yes, I'd made a decidedly non-vegan chocolate cranberry tart and ate a piece every day last week. If I was a food blogger, there would be some lovely red and chocolate photos of pie bliss. I had a delicious Christmas complete with deviled eggs and butternut squash lasagna (along with salad, sweet potatoes, green beans, and delicious snacks). Oh, and Italian fig cookies and dates (I was sick of pie). Why don't I have a food blog again? Oh right, because that would increase the food obsession.

Starting yesterday morning, vegan. Why the day after Christmas? No leftovers? Exactly. No glorious baking projects filled with pounds and pounds of butter? Exactly. No holiday weight-gain? Exactly. Diet girl set the week.
I'm working out like a fiend, tracking calories, and supplementing with protein powder. Fun? sorta. A permanent lifestyle? probably not. I keep thinking "When I'm NOT vegan, I'll cook that." I'd have to give away all of my cookbooks and half of my blog subscriptions to turn vegan. And I'd have to become a shut-in.
Tonight? Rockin' Flow Vinyasa. Tomorrow? I'm celebrating day four with french fries and beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment