12.31.2011

The end of Vegan Week!

After seven straight days of vegan fun plus a vegan breakfast, I'm wondering when I'm going to add back in animal products to my diet. I enjoyed most of the food I ate and I rarely felt deprived, but I can't see myself adapting to veganism in the long term. I've been wondering about Mark Bittman's approach "Vegan until 6," but I'm afraid even that sounds too restrictive. Perhaps 2/3 meals of vegan fun is the right approach for me.

Recently I read a lovely post from Gena on Choosing Raw about how people often confuse health and restriction. She suggested that people find a healthy lifestyle that works for them on a daily basis. Daily = every day for the rest of your life. I admit that a careful, restrictive plant-based diet that prevents me from eating out almost entirely is not for me.

The low point of my vegan: going to a restaurant. My vegan entree was dry, boring, and a poor excuse for food. I actually contacted the owner of the restaurant and we've been passing messages back and forth about seitan. Know anything about it? My January project may turn out to be developing a decent seitan based reuben sandwich.
Okay, that looks... disgusting. But frankly, I think more for its resemblance to meat than a lack of said resemblance.

No comments:

Post a Comment