12.14.2011

Finals Week Update

The BEST part about finals week in grad school = NO finals. I don't even have to grade anything this week. It has been lovely! Here is my update. Lordy, I have 48 uncompleted goals. It is a very ambitious list - I can't imagine completing all of the travel plans I made for myself.

I think I'll make crackers for the upcoming holiday parties.

101 Things in 1001 Days

Goals Set: 3/14/2010
Completion Date: 12/9/2012

Academic/Knowledge
1) Earn a Masters Degree - by spring break
2) Work through a first year Chemistry Text - sadly slow progress
3) Write and maintain a website - http://www.nd.edu/~dmcderm2/
4) Learn to implement code using a header file - CHECK
5) Compile code w/ a make file -CHECK
6) Use multiple source code files compiled through a make file - CHECK
7) Use a header to input source code from one file to another -CHECK- how is this different than 6? I blame the BF...
8) Read and understand a complete work (of any length) by Faulkner -CHECK - understand? I believe so
9) Read 10 of the National Book Award winners in fiction (2/10)
10) Read 10 of the Pulitzer Prize winners in fiction (4/10)
11) Read 10 of the Modern Library’s 100 Best Nonfiction (5/10)
12) Have a conversation in Portuguese CHECK
13) Be able to name all of the U.S. Presidents in order - need to practice this one
14) Become an architecture geek - I did take a roadtrip with an architecture geek - does that count?
15) T.A. a graduate level class - DONE and DONE
16) Take a language class - Portuguese
17) Present at an academic conference - March Meeting '11

Diet/Food
18) Make a batch of freezer jam -CHECK
19) Make Fried Green Tomatoes -CHECK
20) Make a habit of using coupons and planning meals w/ grocery circulars -SORTA
21) Make crackers (via a Mark Bittman recipe) - soon!
22) Eat a completely vegan diet for one week - Winter break plan
23) Make baking bread a habit - turns out I don't eat enough bread to follow through. Does frequent cookie making count?
24) Stay on calorie budget during one of the BF's trips - The BF stopped taking so many trips.
25) Eat a meal made entirely of things grown in my own garden - I am going to have to work at this one

Exercise
26) Take a yoga class - many many yoga classes later - LOVE IT
27) Take an advanced pilates class - I have reached a point in pilates where I need to start pushing myself more or find a harder teacher - sigh...
28) Run a 5K - DONE
29) Run a faster 5K -DONE
30) Run a 10K - Spring goal
31) Run a faster 10K - FALL?
32) Master a tri-cep push-up - I can do ONE and I feel so proud of myself
33) Go hiking in the North Cascades - Do the Chuckanuts count? Weather has been holding me back.
34) Work down to 20% body fat (and maintain it for long enough to see if you like it) - When I made this list I was around 22-23%, once I stopped tracking calories, I shot up. I just started tracking again - it is a little too soon to comment on the sanity of this goal.
35) Return from a vacation thinner than you left - last vacation I gained 7 lbs. I've got a few more chances, but dang this is a tough one.
36) Climb the ND library stairs - sounds like a good winter break activity.

Travel
37) Visit Glacier National Park -nope
38) Visit the Devil’s Tower in Wyoming -CHECK!
39) Visit Yellowstone National Park -nope
40) Visit the U.P. of Michigan -nope
41) Travel to Iowa -CHECK -if driving through and visiting the State Capitol building counts
42) Visit the Field Museum -CHECK
43) Visit the Art Institute of Chicago -nope
44) Attend a Shakespeare production in Chicago -nope
45) Visit the Smoky Mountains -nope
46) Visit three East Coast States -nope
47) Sleep in a tent -CHECK!
48) Visit a country whose primary language is not English -COSTA RICA
49) Attend a baseball game at Wrigley Field -CHECK!
50) Travel to Ohio -nope
51) Visit a Mound site -nope
52) Visit 10 Presidential Historic Sites (2/10)
53) Go on vacation without a car -COSTA RICA

Community
54) Visit the Pizza restaurant near Lake Michigan -check
55) Visit the Snite Museum -check
56) Canoe the St. Joseph River (starting from St. Patrick’s Park) -nope
57) Cross Country Ski the ND golf course -nope
58) Take a local cooking class -SATURDAY!
59) Bike to and around Saint Mary’s College -nope
60) Volunteer for a South Bend community program -nope
61) Volunteer for the ND Physics Department -definitely. i've been service mad this semester
62) Visit a local winery -CHECK, CHECK, CHECK... shall I go on?
63) Visit Benton Harbor and Traverse City -nope
64) Make a point to use the local libraries -nope- but I never lack for reading materials
65) Judge a science fair -nope
66) Visit Amish Country -CHECK - thanks Mom
67) Visit Fernwood Botanical Garden -CHECK

Household
68) Paint the bathroom -CHECK
69) Develop a successful composting system -CHECK
70) Clean the oven twice (2/3)
71) Grow a crop of corn -CHECK
72) Buy a cactus or other succulent to raise in the house -nope
73) Clean and organize the contents of both desks -CHECK
74) Maintain organization of the desks -CHECK (mostly)
75) Develop and maintain organization systems for all messy zones - a constant battle
76) Replace expensive cleaning products with homemade versions - working on this
77) Put in a path and stone patio - cross fingers, this year
78) Buy a piece of art for the house -nope
79) Decorate the living room -sorta

Financial
80) Pay off student loans -CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
81) Pay off my car loan -CHECK
82) Organize and fully document my financial information -CHECK
83) Have an emergency fund of at least two months wages ($3000) - about what my checking account is at these days - does that count?
84) Donate money to WWU - this year

Odie
85) Train Odie to come when called - CHECK -mostly
86) Train Odie to look - work on this
87) Train Odie to stay at doorways -CHECK
88) Take Odie to 90% of the pet-friendly parks in the county - too cold!
89) Teach Odie to behave well at outdoor restaurants - I haven't even tried
90) Take Odie on a vacation - short ones to Chicago

Personal Challenges
91) Spend a week without the internet - soon
92) Watch no television for one month - done
93) Drive in downtown Chicago - done

Miscellaneous
94) Celebrate 3 holidays I have never heard of - really need to get on this
95) Gather all possessions still at my parents homes - CHECK
96) Cook dinner for Randy and Peggy -CHECK
97) Have pants tailored -CHECK
98) Reconnect w/ an old friend -CHECK
99) Have wisdom tooth removed -nope
100) Give a thoughtful and random gift to a friend (5 times) - I'm at 3 (at least)
101) Do not allow yourself to complain of boredom -CHECK

No comments:

Post a Comment