6.05.2010

Reading List

Reading books (and NOT news/blog articles) is very important. I was the student in school who always brought a book from home so that I could read when I finished my classwork. Even in college I would occasionally fill time between classes merely reading a book for fun. I definitely spent a few spring and winter breaks holed up on my sofa reading novel after novel. Over the last few years, much of my reading has shifted to Internet time. The quality of the content and my concentration has degraded steadily.

The Goals project has been doing me a lot of good. Even if I don't finish the list, my use of time and focus has greatly improved. I have been reading actual books, building websites, and shell scripting on weekends. I've been gardening, cleaning, playing tourist, and loving my life.

I finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy about a week ago. It is a difficult book to put down. The story opens in the cold, dark reality of two survivors and demands complete attention. I found myself engrossed in the moments when the characters literally had no food and finding some was their entire focus. That is a concept that I have never even come close to experiencing.

While there are many stories that explore some post-apocalypse world, I have only read two: The Stand and The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. These books are among my favorites. While they have very dark moments, those books have light in them. I will probably re-read them. I cannot imagine reading The Road again. It simply is not that sort of book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment